Thursday, May 28, 2009

10-10-10 By Suzy Welch - A review of sorts

So I will admit this at the outset. I picked up this book because at my local Chapters store it was on the shelf that had HEATHER's Picks on it. The book is 10-10-10 by Suzy Welch

The basic premise of the book is how to guide decision making in your life by looking at how your choice will affect the next 10 minutes of your life, 10 months and 10 years.

For example I am procrastinating exercising to write this blog post. For the next 10 minutes I will be happy that I am sitting in my comfy chair and I have one more post off my chest that I have been meaning to write for the past two weeks. However, upon closer examination if I don't start exercising tonight how will I look and feel in the next 10 months especially if I make the same excuse every night. Well I will feel like crap and likely look like I am 5 months pregnant when I am not and that will SUCK! 10 years from now. My sedentary choices will probably have taken hold and I will have heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure. hhmmmmm.

This may be a little over the top but you get my drift. Now speaking of over the top. Although the book is peppered with some great stories and examples of how this decision making process has worked for other and how it can work for you. I cannot help but wish she had written it from a more Woman, Mom, Wife place instead of a journalist, scientist, harvard business review place.

I mean I have an outstanding vocabulary and I had to have a dictionary handy on more then one occasion. Who uses the word "insouciance" okay, please, tell me... No, I mean it, leave me a comment and tell me if you knew what it meant or had to go look it up like me.

Not a bad book, definitely a quick read, the concept is sound and can be used for just about any decision. bigger decision require a little more work on your values but she goes through that as well. I was pleasantly surprised with the results when i put the concept in to practice. Back to the book, don't pay full price for it. Look for it at the library or used book store. that's where my copy will be. I take that back, if anyone wants to give this baby a try, leave me a comment and I'll send you my copy it might be just what you need.

Let me know!

-

1 comment:

jenn said...

hmmm I think I need to get this book!