Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009 - I've been expecting you.

I hear so many people say they are happy the current year is over and they are looking forward to starting another year.

Last night at the party we were attending, I finally heard the opposite argument. At 11:45 as we were pouring champagne, My dear friend exclaimed that she wished 2008 could last a little longer, it flew by so quick. She is not looking forward, she is happy and comfortable just where she is. 2009 represents her 39th year. You know...that critical year before 40 she explained. you know.... 40 when you are supposed to have it together and be a grown up. She is just not ready!

So as everyone else cheered and welcomed in the new year. We hugged and let out a collective sigh and I agreed I would support her as she does her best to get her shit together and become a grown up. I also let her know that I would support her on those days that are sure to come... those days when you definately don't want to be a grown up.

In the end she agreed 2008 was so great 2009 would be too!

Try to be kind to yourself, make your expectations realistic, be happy where you are, knowing that all too soon it will change again. Stay flexible and take it as it comes.

I'm one of those people who always looks forward to the new year, I guess it's when I give myself the gift of forgiveness. the one time a year I let myself feel my accomplishments and forgive myself for whatever I didn't achieve.

I'm a list person so I love taking the time to write out what I want for the new year. Health, time, new black leather boots, you know.

All I know for sure is right now I am so thankful.

1 comment:

jenn said...

I hear you! Completely! I loved 2008, but I'm looking forward 2009!!! A new year is always ALWAYS a fresh start! :) Its all good!