Sunday, August 17, 2008

Holy Hell Batman

I am tired. DH and I just finished a quick tidy up of our outdoor dinner party for my birthday and our anniversary. I would like to say it was for our friends BUT it was for our family. Not that I don't like my family because I do. We just have this annoying unspoken unwritten rule that says who ever is hosting has to do ALL the work and those attending don't have to do ANYTHING.

Now I still can't complain because DH and I live BESIDE my MIL which meant we split the prep and cooking for todays event and she did most of the clean up because I looked after all the kids (2 of which were mine so again can't be complaining).

I made my world famous RIBS which were AWESOME if I do say so myself and since there are... Oh... NONE left out of 15 POUNDS of ribs I would say everyone got their fill.

It was not just my birthday but also my SIL birthday (she is a few days before me, it was not just our anniversary it was also my BIL and same SIL (who shares the birthday month) anniversary (whose is a few weeks before us, 3 I think). there were married 12 years ago and DH and I jsut celebrated 5 years (2nd marriage for both of us, if you are new here)

My other SIL who usually hosts this particular event moved this weekend (ugg, she won't recover for weeks)so I feel for her I really do. But FUCK that was alot of work.

So it works like this in DH's family.

Nonno and Nonna - rule both emigrated from Italy very progressive but still are steeped in old world tradition. Really you couldn't ask for a better mix. And she only rides me about going to church 5-7 times a year. They live beside us and really they look after us. I have it good. Nonna probably cooks for our family atleast once a week and at most 4 nights a week. Nonno sometimes he tells the same stories over and over and over again. Sometimes they really get on my nerves, but in retrospect I know he is passing on he knowledge and my childrens history, so I try to listen. Sometimes though, I just give up and go do dishes.

Son #1 and SIL 2nd marriage. 2nd marriage for both. Son one child, SIL 2 kids, no kids together. SIL 1 can be jealous now and then of realtionship I have carefully cultivated with MIL. I say she needs to step out side herself and not take herself so goddamned seriously. Nonna loves all of us. You get what you give, Know what I mean?

Son #2 and SIL - these two have been married for (oh I don't know FOREVER) kidding about 17 years I think maybe 18. She converted to catholisicm so she is IN with a capital I. SIL can do no wrong not that I have seen. She has earned it though. She is very thoughtful, very fun and always willign to help out anyway she can.

SON # 3 and ME - I love my DH and he is a spoiled Italian man - what can I say. Lots of training and electro-shock therapy have helped.

Son#4 - S.O. have been dating for jsut under a year I think (he's private and lives in TO)LOVE this guy, he is interesting and calm (opposite of my DH)He is just a little less than a year younger than me and went to school with some people I know. He jsut returned from Thailand so we did a little catching up. Never enough time to talk with this guy. His S.O. could not make it today but she has graduated law school and is a great gal I really like her so far.

Son#1 daughter and her boyfriend - really make an effort to stay connected to the family and often stop by. My DH was in trade school the same time boyfriend started so they rode back and forth for a few months and we have become close with them.

Son # 1 step daughter and boyfriend - glad to seen D2 with this guy he seems so nice and better yet nice to her. Last boyfriend was a WHACK JOB as in had to get a restraining order whack job!

Other kids include 16 year old boy with NO job lazy as hell and like to hear about it from the rest of us (as near as I can tell)

14 yr old Girl who lets boobs hang out and thinks it's great fun to make fun and degrade her sister to make herself feel good. I sese issues in our future!

12 yr old Girl whose sister is a teenager (see above) who is manipulative in her own right but atleast has the presence of mind to negotiate a WIn WIn to get what she wants. She will be one to keep an eye on.

7 year old boy whose heart is in the right place he is just... a 7 year old boy and accidents happen. He is often the victim of circumstance. It may not be entirely his fault but if he would have thought for a second,,, Crisis would have been averted.

My two the Bugaloo (a little spoiled and a Type A first born used to getting his own way, who is entirely too logical somtimes) and the Peanut (just a crazy two year ol, with a great scowl)

We had a great day until the bugs started eating us to death and then it was a pretty quick clear out. I think NOnna is still putting leftovers away and finally the rest of my family is fast asleep. I think I may crack a cold one and thank the almighty that I made it - ALIVE.

Happy Birth-aversary to me!

No comments: