Monday, January 28, 2008

Cerebral Palsy Part 1

As you know we took part in a seminar on the weekend. As parents who just sent their child off to JK we were sitting on a panel talking to parents who are making those decision for this upcoming school year. It when very well. But I thought I should give you some background.

In the Beginning.....

For all intense and purposes I had a normal pregnancy. This was my first so I really had nothing to compare it to. According to many co-workers and other moms, I was "carrying high" My doc always told me the head was down. I passed all the tests with flying colors. On my last OB visit when the doc checked me he said I was already 3 cm and I could go anytime. He wanted me to go up to the hospital to have a sonogram so they could see exactly what we were dealing with. It was at that time that we discovered that the baby was breach, a leggling breach and I would have to have a C-section. This was the 23rd of December and I was not technically due until January 2nd (my date) Jan 6th (doctor's date). My OB was heading out for the holidays and said if I go into labor to head straight to the hospital and if not call his office on Jan 2nd and we would book something.

After having my hair done (thank god!) and picking up hubby from his last day before the holidays, few drinks after work we headed to home to deal with the news that I was going to have a C-Section and my shock and partly disappointment at this intervention. I was having trouble sleeping and stayed up to midnight. I wasn't feeling well but thought it was hormonal due to all the days news and activities.

I awoke at 3:00 to take a pee and had trouble getting back into bed due to a pain in my side, I honestly thought I had pulled a muscle! (duh!) 30 mins later when my stomach muscles clenched together I said to myself, SELF something is going on.

I awoke my hubby and at 4:30 we were at the hospital and at 5:45 on December 24th, our beautiful baby boy was delivered via emergency C-Section.

There was meconium, there was blood, a whole slew of NICU nurses and a heighten sense of "hurry". Our dear child had been folded up and tucked up under my ribs for quite some time. At first, it was thought that he would have a club foot. His apgar scores were amazing 8 and 9 so there was no concern there.

The first visit from a pediatrician was about 24 hours later when the DR. (I use the term loosely) proclaimed "oh, yeah he will need some therapy", no other explaination or description, luckily I was still too out of it to punch the guy out.

I honestly, believe that my child was like this on the inside. I don't know what happened in there but I do maintain that it happened in there. There was nothing that happened during my birth experience that leads me to believe that this happened to him during the birthing process.

Looking back now there was a feeling that something was off. During the end of my pregnancy and after he was born. But I can't recall anything standing out.

After having a CT Scan when he was a year old, we discovered he was normal, there had been no stroke, oxygen deprivation, lesion, anerysm. No reason for his gross motor and fine motor delay.

That first year was full of doctors appointments, therapy appointments, casts on his leg, a brace for his foot. Let's see:

Family Physician
Pediatrician
Orthopedic Surgeon x 2
Physiotherapist x 2
Geneticist
Social Worker
Children Treatment Centre Assessment team
CT Scan x 2
Occupational Therapist

To say I am glad I live in Canada where we get a year maternity leave is an understatement. I honestly don't know if we could have managed if I had to go back to work 6 weeks or 3 months after he was born.

Stay tuned to Part 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All hail Canada!

It's embarrassing how America touts family values (whatever that means), but our legislation and fiscal policies paint a very different picture.