Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday Morning Post

What can I say... loads of laundry... crabby kids.
Trying to squeeze in a shower.

Hubby and I are off today to join a parent panel at a seminar designed for parents of kids with special needs that are entering JK or SK and joing our wonderful school system this coming year.

We attended this very seminar last year and found it very helpful so when they asked if we would sit on the panel this year and discuss what was good and bad about our experience we agreed. Now normally only the women end up on the panel...but this year I asked Hubby if he would participate because I believe as a man he will add a very different perspective. Sometimes I feel like the fathers are not given (nor take) a voice in this crazy life of parent of a "special" child.

There are quite often lots of Dad's at the treatment centre and I think they struggle with how to get involved and us MOMs have a hard time letting them get involved.

I think Hubby and I have been able to strike a 60/40 balance in that he always attends major medical events and school meetings and annual therapy reviews and I take care of the weekly therapy and minor clinic and fitting appointments.

We try to make joint observations, homework enforcement (ha JK) and equipment and therapy decisions. I find this way Hubby is well informed and could take over decision making with little trouble if anything ever happened to me? (God Forbid)

It really has created less stress in our family and marriage.

I will let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

jenn said...

ahhh pink light dear...pink light. Email me I'll explain!!
xo