Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Independence - Co-existence - what is a marriage nowdays? Part 1

I have a crazy day today, so I thought I would try to squeeze in a post real quick.

I have to take the dog to the vet to have his wound dressing changed due to incident on the weekend where some FUCKTARD tossed a beer bottle into our fence line and the dog stepped on the broken glass and damn near bled to death in my kitchen, but I digress. Then it's off to therapy for the bug, today we are checking the results of his botox to see if he has gained any range of motion in his hamstring and heel cord muscles. Then we will play play play for a few hours since I think the kids have been missing some mommy time and then at 4pm I have a DATE with my massage therapist for an hour of sheer torture I'm sure since my shoulders are around my ears due to stress. She will make it better.

However, on to my topic. My fellow blogger Tracey had a great post about TV that she is watching (including the show WEEDS) for which she raised the topic of women relying on their husbands as sole providers for their families.

What would you do if your husband suddenly left or died???

I left a brief (ha) comment, but it got me thinking. Do we as women really expect to be taken care of anymore? Do we get married to be taken care of ?? Do we as women really believe that if we get married we have no reason to continue our education or pursue work outside of the home after we have started a family??

Yes having a family is the most rewarding thing I have ever done and yes more often then not I find myself wearily ploping down at the end of a day of work, laundry, dinner, banking and whatnot. I take comfort and a sense of pride knowing that if anything were to happen I could take care of myself and my family.

I am married and stay married because I choose to do so not because I have to-to survive or exist.

Too much for one post I have to get to the vet now.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

jenn said...

We talked about that last year when a good friend of ours died. I don't think I'd ever remarry again. (shit once is enough kwim??) lol I should never say never, but....

Drink lots of water after the massage! and try to enjoy ;) hehe

xoxo