Friday, May 30, 2008

Choices - This is where I find myself

So here I am I find myself working in a job than gives me little challenge, little creativity and little human contact. However, the hours are fairly flexible, I can come and go as I please within reason and letting my supervisor know ahead of time. I get paid a decent wage and have a average benefits program. I have a crappy commute and am at least 20-25 minutes away from home and my kids school if anything happens. I have 4 weeks holiday plus 1 extra day. This is my JOB.

I had an interview today for a job that will become a career. It only cuts 5-7 minutes off my commute (crap). It has longer hours (by 2.5 per week) No real flexibility you can choose 1 of 3 start times and end times, but after I told them about the Bug and Therapy schedules, they claimed to be reasonable about the whole "work/home/life balance thing. A little more money about $2/hr. Customer/client interaction, document and presentation development, actual thinking and proposing out of the box solutions. Benefits program (starting immediately) not sure about vacation but I am assuming 2 weeks.

I'm sure the latter will leave me with less time to scrapbook and pursue my creative interests. but there seems to be potential for growth and increase my knowledge, professional credentials and earning power.

Do I need a job or a career???

I need a good therapist. Would it be wrong to use my current companies Employee Assistance Program to get a counselor to help me figure this out.

It didn't help that even though I was candidate 2 out of 6, she already asked my availablility for a 2nd interview to meet the team!

I thought I would be more excited, maybe I'm just scared to change. Which is so unlike me.

Plus, I found out at work today that they have been given the go ahead to hire some additional admin support that I would have access to, so maybe I could get a friggin break!

I just don't know. I feel like choose the career position will just create more pressure to perform in my life. I just got to the point that I feel incontrol. I stopped working the extra hours to "finish the job or complete one more task" If it doesn't get done I push it on my supervisor and when she gets tired of doing it she will hire someone to help. I am enjoying my lunches with my co-workers, running and participating in company functions like a normal human being. I have time to run a few errands at lunch. My life is good other than being bored silly the whole time I'm working.

I suppose if I set the same expection if I get the new job I could have the same type of thing.

I just don't know.

Any advice.

2 comments:

jenn said...

Go with your gut....

Make a list.. pro/con of staying
pro/con of going

see what really shows up. It helps to write it down.

Bigger yet...where do you want to be in 5 years???

ah not much help I know ;) lol
xo

Sherio said...

Ah, honey...someone should have warned us about trying to be a Mom, wife, maid, cook, chauffeur, etc., and career woman all at THE SAME TIME! Of course, as you well know, we do it, and quite well, I must admit. :)

But it still doesn't help with these types of questions. Jenn is right - where do you want to be in five years? Peanut is getting older, not a baby anymore (*sniff), and Bug is such an amazing little boy. Your hubby is on his way up, and you know my opinion of your amazingness (yep, my new word) and how underappreciated your talents are. I'm so very proud of you for taking the initiative to see what's out there. :)

Here's the thing - if you had a job you loved, felt validated and appreciated (at least more than now) - how would that change your outlook on the rest of your life's challenges? Can you and those you love make a few compromises about losing a little of your time and flexibility, to have a happier, more fulfilled Mom and wife during that quality time? Just a thought to add to your list....

Miss you. :)